Top 5 Excuses heard from Hiring Managers

1) There’s not enough talent out there

Based on what? Is data real time and accurate to create talent pools in key locations? If not, then how? By using Talent Intelligence, companies can dramatically accelerate the speed it takes to reach talent, which offers greater access to selections across the talent market. Talent Intelligence gives companies the ability to strategically plan ahead to mitigate risks, while allowing a seamless integration into an existing process. What if you knew ahead of time that the active candidate market only represented 5% of the market yet you had access to the other 95%?

2) I don’t have enough people and time
This is probably true as small/midsize companies all over the world are experiencing or about to experience capacity constraints
• Executives and HR are consistently at 125% capacity
• Filling key positions is taking more than 8-12 weeks
• Mid-Level/Senior Executive turnover is at 15% over 18 months

At any of these inflection points, evidence suggests that organizations experience an impactful 38% drop in their ability to hire, which directly impacts their ability to grow.

3) The process is too slow
This is true, however the bottlenecks issues are shared equally between hiring managers and the recruitment team. This impacts the hiring results and at the same time, candidates are negatively impacted.

A recent whitepaper from Robert Walters suggests that the speed of the full hiring process (from application to offer stage) has a significant impact on a candidate’s experience. According to survey results, 78% of job seekers believe a full recruitment process (from application to offer stage) should take less than four weeks. By comparison, only 26% of hiring processes are actually this short in practise. At the same time, while only 1% of employees believe the recruitment process should take longer than three months, 24% take this long in practise.

If you recognise that your process is slow, break it down, measure each component, then fix the problem.

4) Our systems don’t give us the information we need 01202015c
All ATS’s (applicant tracking systems) are built the same way, but the vast majority of companies only use it as a database and not as a tool to create talent pools and build relationships with potential talent. Talent Pipelining allows for recruiting resources to be strategic and proactive. Investing in continuous engagement ensures that your company will maintain an ongoing pool of interested candidates ready and waiting for an open position. You have the tools, just change they way they are being used

5) Everything is urgent, so I have to be reactionary
This one is true, and you can change to a proactive process. To be proactive, it means planning a process and system to work towards solving future events. There are tools, talent, and methodologies that will help you fight today’s fires and be prepared to fight tomorrow’s fires with very little effort. Talent Intelligence and Talent Pipelining are a couple of tools that takes proactivity to a different level in hiring. Proactivity will be especially needed as we continue to encounter some of the global skills shortage that is trending today.

Start 2015 by taking away the excuses and to learn more, start a conversation with us here.

Comments are closed.